Saturday, December 19, 2009

Many are Blessed at The River Fund's Feed Everyone Christmas Celebration

The River Fund is an organization that brings comfort and companionship to people infected by HIV/AIDS, low-income elders and those living with poverty and homelessness.  Feed everyone is the River Funds's local grassroots program in Gifford, FL.  As the name states, it serves everyone, particualrly those in what may be seen as hopeless situations.  These are the people who need our help and compassion most.  They stand up to the challenges each day to feed and protect their families and children, often with out adequate assistance from social seervices.
Each month, in partnership with Kingdom church, the River Fund's Feed Everyone program serves over 600 lunches and provides groceries for needy families.  Today was especially wonderful....It was a Christmas Celebration!


Since the beginning of this holiday season, I had decided that I was going to walk my "Chick" talk and get out to serve the community.  Everything feels different to me this year.  It's not about me, the things I can buy, the parties I can go to...it's about who I can serve; the least of them, although I certainly don't see them that way at all.  Today was really my first opportunity to do that "from the trenches".  All I can say is, it was a wonderful day that completely uplifted everyone involved.


Ma Jaya Sati Bhagavati, affectionately known as Ma, founder of the Kashi spiritual community and it's many programs dedicated to compassionate solutions, arrives at the Kingdom Church with her entourage.  A prominent member of the group, folksinger Arlo Guthrie, has been involved with the community for many years.





Arlo and Santa.  I was delighted when I introduced myself to Arlo and told him I was Vero's Chief Chick of Chicks with Checks; he said that he had heard of us and liked what we are doing!  I wonder if he would like to participate in next year's Gala!









Grateful participants were served a wonderful chicken lunch with vegetable, side dish, drinks and dessert.  After receiving food, everyone lined up to go in the church and receive gifts from Santa.

I loved the job I was given to do, because I got to meet everyone.  I was in charge of making sure everyone had a name tag.  What fun!


































Al Lehman, my "wing chick" Deby's dad, handing out hunny buns with his new friend Eva.




























As you can see it was a perfectly beautiful sunny and somewhat crisp day, which made it very pleasant to mill around and meet the wonderful volunteers and all of the people served by this organization.  


It felt as good as I knew it would.  Everyone that I spoke to was totally blessed by the experience.  It proves that spirit of Christmas is awake and alive...even though it feels different this year, in many ways it's better for me.  I believe everyone felt like they belonged.  As we served them, they served us so well by showing us their hearts.  


Yes! this is where I belong; in service to others.


What are you doing to be of service this holiday season?


Namaste and Happy Holidays to you and yours.


Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment